Monday, February 9, 2009

The 'Oh Shit School's Back!' Scramble

Being the oldest child of seven, five of which are within the public school system, and two of which still attend preschool is a tough enough task in and of itself. However, nothing can really express the chaotic nature of the back-to-school frenzy evident within our house.

My name is Caitlin, and I have just begun my last year of public school turmoil, in the hopes that it will grant me access to a successful life, however my aspirations are yet to be met.

In an accumulative order, the night before school occured such as this; a mad frenzy of labelling clothes, books, bags, stationary and lunch equipment left the floor in the living room no longer visible, but that was indeed a small feat when compared to the covering of work books and text books which left my youngest brother a mesh of contact paper and spiderman figures.

Luckily with all of the organization equipment sheilded and labelled, the lunch preparations were well underway, I almost feel sorry for my brother who follows me in chronological order, the idea of food being packaged and uneaten left him terribly confused.

The morning after was a whir of black and blue as the long forgotten sock war raged in the den. Flashes of recently pressed white shirts and hard leather shoes greeted me as a slinked to the bathroom (where I had cleverly hidden my socks as a means to excuse myself from the epic battle over white school socks, which eternally disappear). I don't know who won, or which color socks were worn as after this I was running to catch the punishingly early bus.

All in all I count this day as a success, my mother never ceases to amaze me, however her secret isn't a complexity, as when scouring through my cupboards for a satisfying release from the day with my peers, I discovered that indeed anything which may provide the clumsiness and satisfaction of intoxication had already been devoured by my saint of a mother. Well what can I say, better her than me.

1 comment:

  1. I am a student,too. When I was in middle school, I always said Oh shit school`s back!!!

    ReplyDelete